Friday, May 10, 2013

Race

Race practice was pretty easy. We kept it somewhat light so that people didn't wear themselves out before the race. They kept the reccers that were racing together with me. This worked out well because we ended up being faster than the other two canoes.

Being able to use my steering blade was nice. I could dig because it was actually long enough, and at the same time the handle wasn't unwieldy. Unfortunately it was taking some time for me to get used to the paddle again. Also, when I tried to Kahi with it, it would vibrate. I think it has something to do with the angle I plant the blade and the thickness of the grip tape I applied. Somehow they're resonating with each other.

I was a bit cautious with poking on the right. I tihnk that lift from a few weeks ago has left me just a bit gun-shy. That plus not having had a chance to steer much before the past 2 weeks means I'll have to get over it quickly. I should be better during the race since there'll be too many things to think about for me to psych myeslf out.

Breakfast was PB&J sandwich. This ensured I was starving during lunch. We tried to go to Extreme Pita, but that ended up being out of business. We ended up at Chipotle again, which was pretty good. I had chicken instead of the barbacoa. Dinner ended up being wings and rice, so that I could finish off the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment